U11A&B Girls’ Hockey v Brooke Priory & Laxton & Stamford (A), 1.30pm

TEAM: U11 A&B Girls

VENUE: Oundle School, PE8 4EE

DATE: Wed 17th Nov

COACHES: Mrs Felton & Mr Mayhew 

EMAIL: kfelton@st-hughs.lincs.sch.uk 

CHANGE: Morning Break. Bags onto buses.

LUNCH: Packed lunches

DEPART: 11.30am

START TIME: 1.30pm

FINISH TIME/RETURN: Approx 4.30pm return 

A - Amelia F (Captain), Sophie T, Angelina, Florence, Isadora, Mahreen, Jemima, Millie, Charlotte (GK)

B - Peyton (Captain), Ailsa, Poppy H, Megan D (GK), Annabelle, Alicia, Megan B, Kitty W


Water bottle essential, blue games kit (layers if cold!). Collect packed lunch then red bags on the bus after getting changed.

Match Report

The girls travelled to Oundle School on Wednesday afternoon to play in a festival with Brooke Priory, Witham, Stamford and Laxton. Despite the long journey, the teams stepped off the bus raring to go and quickly warmed themselves up in preparation for their first match. 

The U11B team, captained this week by Peyton, played extremely well and it was great to see them using the space on the pitch to good effect. The Stamford coach praised our girls for this which was a lovely compliment to receive. Our first match against Witham saw St Hugh’s battle hard against a well organised side. There were a number of turnovers thanks to Annabelle who played superbly at the back and distributed the ball using the width of the pitch. Alicia worked incredibly hard at the back too and with some great positioning and movement, she transitioned the ball up the pitch. It was super to see her attacking as a defender and not afraid to push up. As the game progressed, we became more effective at getting ahead of the ball, particularly in our attacking circle. There was some great work in the middle by Ailsa with Kitty and Peyton working hard to find space. Witham had a few chances but Megan D was a force to be reckoned with in goal and put in some superb saves. However, with a couple of breaks in open play, they managed to score two goals in quick succession. St Hugh’s were quick to get back onside and determined to equalise but the full time whistle blew shortly after. Annabelle was chosen as player of the match by the opposition and certainly deserved this.

Our second match was against Stamford and the girls began to use each other more using some simple but effective wall passes. It was great to see them communicating more in this match and moving off the ball with greater effect. Stamford took their chances and Megan worked hard in goal to block the shots and clear the ball. Once again, she put in some super saves! It came as no surprise that Megan was awarded player of the match. St Hugh’s continued to put pressure on the Stamford side and with some great play from Kitty a chance came for the St Hugh’s side. Ailsa received a good ball into the circle and with a strong early shot, scored a cracker. Stamford equalised in the last couple of minutes resulting in a 1-1 draw.  

Our final game was against the hosts, Laxton. With a few positional changes, the girls took a while to settle and we found ourselves out of position for the first few minutes. However, we regained our composure and began to use the width and depth of the pitch again. There were some good passes in this game and the girls were using the turnout option and switching play to the other side of the pitch which was super! Kitty had a great opportunity when she made a ferocious tackle and continued to run at pace with the ball. Ailsa was in support and with a quick pass, St Hugh’s scored.  Laxton went on to nominate her as player of this match. 

The A team started off well in their opening game against Witham Hall putting together nice passing play which led to an early opening goal from Amelia. Witham then took charge of the game applying pressure and forcing goalkeeper Charlotte into making multiple good saves to keep St Hugh's in the lead. St Hugh's still had chances of their own later on in the game with Angelina finding space well to allow for fast counter attacks which unfortunately couldn't be converted. Unfortunately, the pressure became too much for St Hugh's with Witham scoring a late equaliser to finish the game 1-1.

The girls, who were disappointed with their first performance due to their excellent standards as a team, said they had a point to prove in their next match against Stamford. The match started fast with Amelia, Isadora, Angelina and Florence putting together nice patches of play and working well as an attacking unit which created chance after chance. The first goal in the game came from Angelina who reacted quickly to a good save from the Stamford keeper to tap in a rebound giving St Hugh's a 1-0 lead. The pressure did not halt from St Hugh's as the defence of Jemima and Mahreen stayed strong and prevented any shots for Stamford allowing the attacking unit to have lots of the ball which they used well, earning themselves another goal for Angelina. As the game was coming to a close, some nice work down the right hand side from Florence opened up space for herself to unleash a shot towards goal which was placed expertly into the bottom corner to round off a great performance from the Girls, winning the match 3-0.

The final match saw the girls take on a strong Laxton side who played fast attacking hockey. St Hughs, motivated from their previous performance against Stamford, started the game strong putting Laxton under lots of pressure and keeping them inside their own half. This pressure resulted in lots of good chances for the girls however, we were unable to convert and take the lead. Midway through the game, after some nice pressing and defensive work, Angelina managed to steal the ball high up the pitch leaving her in a one on one, which was calmly converted giving St Hugh's the lead. After a change of positions after our goal, Laxton began to grow into the game playing fast attacking hockey which resulted in them having multiple short corners in a row which the St Hugh's defence defended well with good running from Florence and Amelia. The game looked like it would end as a 1-0 St Hugh's win however, in the last few seconds of the play, the persistence of Laxton paid off as they were rewarded with an equaliser, despite the defensive hardwork from the team. Overall a good day for the A team girls playing against some tough opposition and playing well as a team. All involved should be very proud of their efforts.

Overall, the long journey was well worth it, with all girls getting a good amount of pitch time and invaluable match experience. Well done to all players, you were a credit to the school.