U12 County Cup Cricket v Stamford (A) 2.30pm

TEAM: U12A Hardball Cricket 

VENUE:  Away - Stamford, PE9 1QQ 

DATE: Friday 17th June 

COACH: Mr Pickering 

EMAIL: mpickering@st-hughs.lincs.sch.uk

CHANGE: Morning Break 

LUNCH: 12.20pm

START TIME: 2.30pm


Team: Elliot, Spike, Huxley, Leo, Rico, Dan, Aydin, Euan P, Will L, Jenson, Rory S 

NOTES: Please bring your (clean!) cricket trousers from home. Match tops provided. It is forecast to be very hot. Bring plenty of water, caps and suncream

Match Report

Result: Stamford 159-3. St Hugh’s 73 all out.

On the hottest day of the year, Stamford opened the batting and though they started well there were moments of miscommunication between the wickets. This was exploited well by Huxley, who made a direct hit from mid-on to run out their key opening batter. Following this, Stamford pushed for quick singles well and a long partnership developed until Rico got through their big hitting number 3 and clean bowled him. Soon afterwards, Rory S showed great sharpness, fielding the ball off his own bowling and noticing the non-striker out of his crease promptly ran him out. The remaining overs saw Stamford increase their run rate and we did not manage to get any more wickets. Huxley captained the side really well and made sure everybody got to bowl two overs each. 

Huxley and Spike started our innings. Their opening bowlers were speedy and accurate, and Huxley escaped several close appeals for LBW before getting a nasty edge which squeezed under his grille and caught him on the chin. Spike managed to get bat on ball and edged a couple of boundaries before being bowled. There followed a mini-collapse as we struggled with their spinner - looping up several catches to mid-off. Euan P came in at number 7 and immediately showed poise and class. He hit the first delivery to the square leg boundary, then proceeded to show excellent timing, hitting some sumptuous half-volleys and drives to the offside boundary and lofting the ball over mid-off. He unfortunately cut a wider delivery straight to the hands of the fielder in the covers having scored a superb 22, but he walked off to a well-deserved round of applause from all. 

The players showed great perseverance - especially in the field where they concentrated fully and chased the ball down well during a long stint in the sun. Captain Huxley organised his team with confidence. Thanks to all the parents who came to watch and encourage from the boundary - and a special thank you to Mr & Mrs Shaw who offered a very welcome ice-cold bottle of water to all of us on our arrival!