U13 Girls East Region Hockey FInals, Redbridge Sports Centre, 10.00am

Venue: Redbridge Sport Centre IG6 3HD

Coaches: Mr Goodhand & Miss Wood


Ava  W (GK)
Bridie M (C)
Emily R
Molly R
Grace P
Georgina H
Pippa S
Isabelle G
Emily S
Caitlin L

10.30am – Tournament commences

4.30pm  - Depart for St Hugh's


The under 13 hockey squad travelled all the way down to Redbridge to play in the Regional Finals on Tuesday. Excited to experience the very best hockey the East region has to offer, the St Hugh's girls took to the pitch. Theirs first match, against Queenswood, got off to a roaring start with the ball flying from end to end. Very quickly the skill level of the opposition became apparent as balls began flying into the back of the goal. St Hugh's didn't let down their guard, however, and continued to press the defence gaining some fantastic attacking opportunities. 5-0 loss.

In their second match, St Hugh's stepped up their game and demonstrated some fantastic hockey. Keeper, Ava, followed Mr G's instruction to be more vocal, and directed the defensive line more effectively. Bedford Modern managed to push through the defence with all the power they possessed, scoring the first goal of the match. The St Hughs wingers performed some great runs towards goal, opening up the space and presenting many attacking chances. St Hugh's were awarded a flick due to a defenders foot on the goal line and Captain Bridie stepped up to penalty spot. A hard and perfectly positioned ball slammed into the bottom left corner of the goal. Energised, St Hugh's continued to press the team causing the opposition to perform a string of fouls, which resulted in a green card for one Bedford girl. Despite this, Bedford Modern managed to scrape a final goal in as the final whistle blew. 2-1 loss.

The third and final game of the morning saw St Hugh's meet their toughest team of the day. Framlingham, Suffolk county champions, took to the pitch with pure determination. The St Hugh's girls did not hold back, however, and displayed some much improved teamwork and co-operation. Despite having a few attacking chances in the first half, St Hugh's were barraged with a very organised and disciplined team that played the ball around the pitch with ease. 6-0 loss.

The first game of the afternoon saw St Hugh's face Norwich. With pure determination, the opposition powered through the defence scoring within minutes. St Hugh's fought back, making some fantastic injections into the D but were unable to secure a much needed goal. 5-0 loss.

The penultimate game of the day saw St Hugh's go against Brentwood. Another highly competitive match with improved communication from the St Hugh's girls. With brilliant teamwork in the middle, St Hugh's attacked the goal with determination and succeeded in sending the ball flying into the goal. Brentwood stepped up after this, pressing the defenders hard with skilled stick work slipping past the St Hugh's defensive line. 4-1 loss.

The final match of the day saw a Lincolnshire derby with the St Hugh's team playing Stamford. Getting off to a strong start, St Hugh's sent the ball into the D with skill, securing the first goal of the game within minutes. Fighting back hard, Stamford played the ball across the pitch, injected it into the D firmly and slipped it into the goal to equalise. Not disheartened, St Hugh's fought back attacking the goal with power. After some hard work inside the D, the ball was directed into the goal after a display of fantastic teamwork. Stamford did not let their energy drop, and worked their socks off to secure two more goals. The most competitive and evenly matched game of the day saw Stamford beat St Hugh's 4-2.

It was a day of beautiful play by the whole team and a fantastic display of teamwork and co-operation. The girls can walk away from this experience with pride, knowing they put in full effort in every match played against some extremely tough sides. Well done to all involved, and thank you to those who came to support.