IAPS Hockey Qualifier, Repton (A) 10.25am

TEAM:  U13A Hockey

VENUE: Repton, DE65 6FH

DATE: Thursday13th October 2022

COACH: Mr Goodhand 

EMAIL: rgoodhand@st-hughs.lincs.sch.uk

CHANGE: Arrive changed - match kit handed out in Boarding Wednesday PM

LUNCH: Packed lunch 

DEPART: 7.00am, Front of School

START: 10.25am

FINISH TIME: Approx 4.00pm

RETURN: Approx 6.00pm

Team: Peyia F ©, Charlotte T GK, Angelina B, Poppy H, Amelia F, Imogen L, Florence L, Sophie T, Scarlett G 

NOTES:  Boarding provided free of charge - please book in the usual way. 

Hot breakfast to go at 7.00am. Packed lunches provided. Bring plenty of water.

Match Report


  • Winchester House 0-0 D
  • Fettes College 2-1 L (Sophie T)
  • Bilton Grange 0-1 L
  • Rossall School 2-1 L (Peyia) 

The U13A squad travelled to Repton on Thursday to compete in an IAPS Regional Qualifier. Due to a 7.00am departure, the girls boarded on Wednesday evening and enjoyed a team meal at Zuccis, followed by an early night (apparently!). 

The initial group stages saw us face teams from Winchester House, Fettes College and Bilton Grange. Our opening game was against Winchester House. St Hugh’s started well and managed to hold off the opposition which gave us confidence going forward. Our defensive unit impressed when defending short corners, with some super goalkeeping by Charlotte. A great counter-attack saw St Hugh’s push forward in the final remaining minute of the game but the final whistle came first - a confident performance securing us a point.

We then met Fettes College, Edinburgh. This game was played on Repton’s older pitch and saw a few players lose their footing! Nonetheless, St Hugh’s continued to work hard and adapted well when Angie was substituted due to a knock to the hand. A few errors in defence gave Fettes space and time on the ball which saw them take the lead going into half time. Angie returned to the pitch and the girls played some good attacking hockey. It was great to see Sophie as defender carry the ball up the right wing and with a confident shot, St Hugh’s equalised. Spirits were high and the team continued to put pressure on the opposition who were eager to come back. Fettes found the corner once again towards the end of the game, resulting in a 2-1 defeat. 

Our final group game was against a strong Bilton Grange side but the girls stepped up and rose to the challenge. There were some pleasing phases of play and we began to make better use of our wingers. Though a few short corners were conceded, the girls worked incredibly hard and defended these very well. The goal came eventually going into half time. The second half saw some attacking chances and though we did not capitalise, we managed to hold them off. A 0-1 defeat.

The afternoon saw us face Rossall School from Lancashire in the Plate Quarter-Final. From a great assist by Millie, it was a Fairburn double act, which saw Peyia slot the goal past the GK showing great composure. Rossall equalised in the second half which meant there was a period of ‘golden goal’ extra time of up to 5 minutes. It was end to end but Rossall had the pressure in the third minute and with a defensive error, Rossall found the corner and the final whistle blew. A 2-1 defeat. 

A good learning experience for our team but great to see them very much holding their own against some large schools. Well done team St Hugh’s!