Silver Medallists

Last week the U13 girls’ hockey team travelled to Bakewell to play in the S. Anselm's tournament.

The girls were in a group of four teams with the top two teams progressing towards the semi-finals and finals 3rd/4th playoff.

Our first game was against Westbourne who scored after 2 minutes of the 10 minute game with a goal that dribbled over the line.  After 6 minutes Pippa S surged forwards and equalised.  The final score was 1-1 with 3 points secured.

Our second game was against S. Anselm's A team and again they scored after 2 minutes with a well struck goal that just went under Ava's foot.  Although the girls were working hard, particularly the skipper Georgina H in the centre and Emily S trying to break away we struggled to penetrate into their D and pull a goal back. Final score 1-0 to the home side.

Our final game of the group was against Mount St Mary's B side and we needed to have win, hopefully with multiple goals in order to secure 5 points and apply pressure to Westbourne in order to progress. Before the game we modified our positions and tactics and the girls went on knowing what to do.  St. Hugh's dominated the game with the deciding goal coming from a short corner which was struck firmly by Pippa in a premeditated move.

Once Westbourne had drawn 0-0 in their final game we knew we had progressed into the latter stages of the tournament.  Our semi-final was against Hill House who looked a very strong team when we watched them against S. Anselm's.  However when they played us, we upped our game, defended doggedly and broke down their play.  Ava, Pippa & Georgina were sterling in defence and released pressure to our wingers of Grace S, Kelsey M, Alice A and Caitlin L who worked hard going forward when they had a chance but also tracking back leaving no Hill House player unmarked.  The final score was 0-0 and we went to penalty shuffles; 10 seconds for a 1-on-1 attack from the half way against the goal keeper.  Thanks to an Emily S battling goal and some great aggressive keeping, giving them no space, from Ava we won 1-0 and made the final against S. Anselm's A team again.

In the final our new formation combined with great effort from all the girls, goalkeeping from Ava and defending from Issy, Pippa and Georgina, we did not concede again and very nearly scored with Kelsey making her presence felt on the back post.

In the penalty shuffles our luck ran out and S. Anselm's worked out how to take Ava on. They won with a final score of 2-0.  The girls were elated with winning a silver medal and they enjoyed the taste of success.

This was a great team bonding experience before Saturday's game against St Hugh’s Carswell and the Edinburgh tour.  Mr Goodhand says, "Well done girls, you did yourselves, the parents and the school proud".