Drama is an important part of the curriculum for all pupils at St Hugh's School. Productions take place each term which enable every child to perform on stage.
- Nativity play for the EYFS in the Autumn term
- School play for Years 1 & 2 in the Autumn term
- Musical for Years 6, 7 & 8 in the Spring term
- School play for Years 3, 4 & 5 in the Summer term
- School play for Year 8 in the Summer term post Common Entrance
In addition to these, class assemblies are encouraged throughout the year.
Public speaking is also fostered in several ways. There are four formal elocution competitions in the summer term, Preprep, Junior, Intermediate and Senior, all of which are performed in front of a public audience. Each week in assembly children read out their own reports on events or matches they have been involved in, often without notes. Senior pupils also often address outside groups.
When children leave us they are confident to speak in front of any audience, as the ISI inspectors noted:
"During the inspection pupils displayed good manners and courtesy, holding doors open for adults, engaging inspectors in conversation over lunch and giving them directions around the site."