St Hugh’s is regularly inspected by The Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI). This is the body approved by the government for the purpose of inspecting schools belonging to the Independent Schools Council.
Our Regulatory Compliance Inspection took place in January 2023. Please click here to read the report.
The latest Education Quality Inspection took place over three days in October 2018 and we are delighted to share the report with you by clicking here.
There are now only two areas within the ISI Educational Quality Inspection that are reported on.
- The quality of pupils’ academic and other achievements
- The quality of pupils’ personal development
All the areas of school life are now subsumed into these two areas. The highest grade available to schools is now ‘Excellent’ and we are delighted that St Hugh’s was given this grade in both areas, whilst also making reference to particular areas of the curriculum as being exceptional
In the Focused Compliance Inspection St Hugh’s was deemed to be entirely compliant in all areas (grades are not given for this report).
See below for some of the highlights of the report:
- The inspectors remarked that the pupils’ progress is “above national expectations” and indeed “the creative writing of all pupils is excellent and sometimes exceptional”.
- Reading was highlighted as a “strength” and went on to say “all children are articulate and able to express themselves clearly”.
- In Maths, pupils are “highly numerate” and “numerically agile”.
- Extra curricular subjects were praised too. “The standard of pupils’ art is excellent and some is sophisticated for their age” and went on to say the pupils “fulfil the school’s aim to develop their potential beyond the classroom”.
- The outdoor learning in Forest School was frequently mentioned and demonstrated “pupils’ initiative, independence and their ability to work collaboratively”.
- On the quality of pupils’ personal development the children were described as “confident and resilient” with “an embedded spiritual awareness” and “a very strong comprehension of a healthy lifestyle”.
- On the sports fields it said “there is a strong ethos of fairness and sportsmanship”.
- The inspectors also found “Pupils’ social development and collaboration are excellent”.